What is TAFES?
TAFES is an acronym that stands for Tanzania Fellowship of Evangelical Students. It is a national and Interdenominational Christian organization ministering to students in Universities, Colleges. It is hence a Fellowship of Christian students, associates and staff all over Tanzania who have come together regardless of their denominational affiliations in order to reach students with gospel of Jesus Christ.
BRIEF HISTORY AND BACKGROUND
- The history of TAFES is built on the foundation of the church history that eventually influences student’s movement worldwide.
- The history shows that Universities and Colleges played a big role in the sharpening and expansion of the Christian faith.
- Student movements gave birth to the revival of Christian faith in Europe, America, China, India and Africa.
- Universities were centers of ideas and actions, many students left Europe for mission to reach out Africa, Asia and South America. It is the same people who gave their lives to mission that eventually joined efforts to launch an international student movement.
- I947: IFES was formed(International Fellowship of Evangelical Students).
- 1950s: PAFES was formed in Africa (Pan Africa Fellowship of Evangelical Students).
TAFES work started as a spontaneous work of God in the emerging Universities of East Africa in the mid 1950s. The Pan African Fellowship of Evangelical Students (PAFES), a wing of the international Fellowship of Evangelical Students (IFES), coordinated the students’ ministry in African Universities. In 1973, the East Africa wing of PAFES adopted the name of Fellowship of Christian Unions (FOCUS).
FOCUS, East Africa coordinated the Christian fellowships at the university of East Africa that were comprised of what are now Makerere University, University of Dar Es Salaam and Nairobi University.
After the dissolution of East African Community, operational problems cropped up and forced the breaking up of FOCUS East Africa into autonomous national movements bearing the same name.
In 1973, FOCUS East Africa was dissolved into 3 East African cities.
Currently TAFES is operating in 8 regions namely- Dar es Salaam, Mwanza, Dodoma, Arusha, Morogoro, Mbeya, Iringa, and Kilimanjaro.
TAFES Head office is located at Plot 725 Boko, Off Ununio road Dar es Salaam at our Student center.